Wiki-Gen is a Wikipedia Page Generator. A topic is searched on the webpage, and based on the search results, sentences are formed using Markov Chains and a database of parsed words from Wikipedia pages. The end result is a webpage that contains text that is randomly generated based on the language of Wikipedia.
See the Github page to follow our process.
• Designed the UI & UX of Wiki-Gen
• Discussed with project partner the design of the system and infrastructure
• Communicated and collaborated with project partner remotely (I was in Florida while he was in Minnesota at the time)
• Implemented the frontend design
• Learned and used git for version control
• Worked with Flask, SQLite, and Python 2.7
SO, WHAT EXACTLY DID WE DO HERE?
We (as in Kevin and I) decided to make use of the last half of our summer. Kevin proposed the idea of working on an interesting project to me sometime, and I was quite eager to work on anything web related (I had just spent the summer learning about the basics of HTML & CSS & JS).
Kevin’s contributions were mostly backend, while I helped with the frontend. We were able to download approximately 8 GBs of Wikipedia text data, and preprocess the information by parsing the collected text into a four-gram table using a combination of Python 2.7, as well as SQLite (sqlite3). Therefore, at the end of the preprocessing, we held an 8 GB database of words in Wikipedia and their statistically probable follow-up words.
Afterwards, it was a matter of setting up a way to query the results when an input was given, and setting up the web application to host this service on. We used Flask as our web framework to easily interface with Python. Eventually, we created an interface that was direct in its features, as well as elegantly flat.
Design stage of Wikigen
Home page of Wiki-Gen
Wikigen menu bar
Generated article after searching up "Twitter"
Generated article after searching "Peanut"